Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Surgery.......or no surgery.........

Okay, I can undoubtedly say I am really frustrated right now. I know God is working a great plan, and I trust Him wholly.......but I am frustrated.

I went for my MRI on Monday and up until that point my diagnosis was a SLAP tear (a tear in the labrum of the shoulder, the cartilage that cushions the humerous between the shoulder socket). I had accepted that it was probably going to end up with surgery. Dr. Farrow called me yesterday and said that there is no indication of a SLAP tear on the MRI!!!! Are you kidding me? I mean I know that nothing is really certain in medicine, but gosh, I am back to square one. So now he is calling it....wait for it..... sub-acromial impingment and/or rotator cuff tendonitis. Here is a basic explaning I found on the web:

"Shoulder bursitis and rotator cuff tendonitis are different ways of saying there is inflammation of a particular area within the shoulder joint that is causing a common set of symptoms. The proper terminology for these symptoms is 'impingement syndrome.' Impingement syndrome occurs when there is inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons and the bursa that surrounds these tendons. There is a difference between tendonitis and bursitis, but in most cases of impingement syndrome there is a combination of these problems"

So......he brought me in today to try a cortisone injection. This "should" bring down the inflammation that is causing my pain, we hope. This is my last hope with this. Dr. Farrow said that if this doesn't work, he will most likely have to go in. He said there could still be a sub labral tear that didn't show on MRI that could need repair, there could be a small rotator tear needing repair, or he could have to do a decompression the impingment or removed the bursa. It is just so up in the air, thus my frustration. I would have rather Him said "yep, you need surgery, it's this or that" then it would have been a solid treatment plan. I have had 2 months of the wait and see. So I am really, really praying this is it...........

I am also remind myslef, GOD IS IN CONTROL, GOD IS IN CONTROL, GOD IS IN CONTROL. I just have to keep saying it aloud and firm.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ." ~ Ephesians 1:3

This pain we all endure here on Earth will be no more when we go to meet our heavenly Father. I need to trust His strength in me and not I can do this. He gives me strength.

No comments: